Carbon monoxide is a colourless and odourless gas. It has an excellent ability to bind to haemoglobin (red blood pigment) and is therefore lethal to any living organism.
Due to its toxicity, it is one of the major pollutants. It is produced by the imperfect combustion of carbon and organic substances and is emitted, for example, by cars, local heating plants or the energy industry. It is commonly found in the atmosphere, but not in concentrations exceeding 0.001% (10 ppm).
CO poisoning is most common in households and in most cases is caused by negligence and especially neglect of regular maintenance and inspections of heaters, water heaters, chimneys and other flues. Today’s modern boilers are completely safe.
The best protection is, of course, a good and regular inspection of appliances from which dangerous carbon monoxide can escape. A great way to be 100% sure is with a sensor that measures the concentration of CO from very small amounts.